Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Keep your chin up!"

That is all I can say. I have planted so much and had so many things in the ground on time and then we got a couple weeks of rain and absolutely no sun. Well, plants like to photosynthesize and kind of need that to grow and survive. I have never seen anything like this and have never seen my garden so ugly so early. I have plants and seeds that need to get in the ground, not to mention the weeding that needs to be done but can't be because of how ridiculously wet it is. It is hard to hoe when you are losing your shoes in the mud!
Izzy and I planted some parsley and basil into some plastic mulch that kept some of the soil dry-ish last week. Today, I got out and weeded some of our beets and tomatoes. I had to water our flats of plants on our benches for the first time in two weeks. I cannot even believe that we got enough rain to kill, yes kill, our spinach, cilantro, dill, and several tomato plants. "Keep your chin up," is all I can say!
Those of you that belong to the CSA, I so appreciate your understanding and kind words after having to cancel last week's delivery. There will be times of bounty coming! We have replacement plants for what we lost to this rain. We have about 60-80 summer squash plants that are growing well, along with about that many cucumber plants that we got in before the rain hit. They are in ridges under plastic mulch, so they are doing very very well.
We will have a delivery this week that will include honey and eggs to supplement the produce that we are harvesting.
Let's hope we will get some milder weather...I'm not so sure about this extreme heat right after all this rain either. There are 1,000 sweet potato plants staring at me and wanting to get put in the ground (that is not yet able to be tilled).

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! If farming were easy, we'd all be farmers. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete